I thought I'd make some modifications along the way in the build, so I really couldn't do a head to head with the build time I had heard about (a lowish number of minutes). The on/off switch being where it was didn't fit my plans so I made that an off boarder and also moved the battery to off board so that I might use the space below the screen for something, perhaps where the stylus lives in the case.
I did manage to go from opening the packet to firmware environment setup, built, and uploaded in less than 2 hours total. No bridges, no hassles, cable shrinks around the place and 90 degree headers across the bottom of the board for future tinkering.
This is going to look extremely stylish in a CNCed hardwood case. My current plan is to turn it into a smart remote control. Rotary encoder for volume, maybe modal so that the desired "program" can be selected quickly from a list without needing to flick or page through things.